How to clean and Disinfect your phone with SNiPER Disinfectant
When holding your cell phone, tablet or the remote control. Is it oily and smudged with fingerprints or lint on the screen? Are crumbs from a snack lingering on the device? Did you find some stray pet hairs? Forbid the thought, but is it sticky? Yuck.
If any of the above gets a head nod, then, we need to talk. Think about where your mobile devices go. Do they travel from hand to hand? Into pockets where crumbs, candy wrappers, dirty tissues live and forgotten? Are they given to toddlers to handle (who knows where their hands have been?), passed around to various hands to show off images? Studies have shown that there is more invisible crud on your handheld device than on the bottom of your shoe! Gross to consider, isn’t it?
In the November 2013 issue of the “American Journal of Infection Control”, the debate is over. Mobile devices are well-known as a pervasive source of disease transmission. Consequently, we should strive to keep our devices clean and free from germs. Not just for our own health, and the good health of our friends and relatives, but to keep the trade-in value high when you want to upgrade to a new device.
Here are some tips to keep your cell phones, tablets, laptop, keyboard, mouse, and other mobile devices safe for you and friends to touch. Remember however, that mobile devices are not waterproof and cleaning them is tricky. Here are the Best Practices for Cleaning and Disinfecting your mobile equipment:
Regularly use a soft microfiber cloth to wipe away smudges, etc. This method, when regularly used, is also enough to eliminate many common bacteria in our environment. For the nasty bacteria that take a ride on your cellphone, use SNiPER, a hospital grade disinfectant that is safe enough to wash your hand with, to clean and disinfect your phone, tablet or other device. This well documented disinfectant that kills bacteria and viruses safely and efficiently. Never spray SNiPER directly on your gadget. Instead, spray a soft cloth with SNiPER until it is damp/moist, but not wet. Wipe the device carefully, paying attention to the corners, the on/off switch, and volume control. A soft q-tip works well in this instance.
Most manufactures of these devices warn against using “window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia or abrasives”. The unique formulation of SNiPER is non-corrosive and will not harm your device if applied properly. For computer keyboards, which are really a warehouse of stored microbes, dust and food spills, can be cleaned with a can of compressed air and a light spray of SNiPER. (Don’t overdo spraying! Use a gentle spray of SNiPER, and after two or three minutes, wipe away any excess moisture that remains on the surface. Or, apply by spraying a cloth and use that cloth to wipe down your device. Compressed air cans will finish the job for you.)
You really can be as obsessive as you feel is necessary when taking care of these objects. For good health, experts recommend you to wipe your devices daily with a soft microfiber cloth. Don’t forget about wrist pillows, and mouse pads. If they are washable, regularly toss them in with other laundry. If not washable, spray thoroughly with SNiPER. Allow to air dry before using again.
This is easy! Did you know that It takes about 15 consecutive times to form a habit? Consider putting this task in your morning routines for 15 days. By then, it will not be a chore, or a forgotten task, you will make a new habit-and a good one!
Control the Moisture – Control the Mold
Mold and spores are a potential source of irritation including allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory maladies. The EPA tells us that “All molds have the potential to cause health effects”. Mold reproduces through ‘spores’, which are invisibly small and can float around on air currents in a home, office or school. Breathing in these spores can cause sickness and allergies as well as having an unpleasant odor.
The best defense for controlling mold is to control the moisture. If excess moisture is present, it will not be long until mold is growing. So controlling the moisture that mold feeds upon is the best defense. The best offense for mold is to use SNiPER to kill it safely, without introducing highly toxic cleansers into your home!
Check Your Home for Water Leaks
Wherever mold is growing there must be some water source. Find it, fix it. Look under the sink – is it often wet down there? If yes, find where it is leaking and get that fixed. Other places to check include the drain for your A/C system. These drains can become blocked and then spill over. Check near windows during cold weather – humid indoor air can often condense on cold windows.
Reduce the Humidity
Reduce the humidity in mold-prone areas such as a basement to limit the growth of mold in these areas. You can reduce humidity by:
- using air conditioners (which remove excess moisture) or de-humidifiers
- increase ventilation
- use exhaust fans that are vented outside when cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- make sure dryers and bathroom vents are vented outside and not blocked
If you have just had your carpet cleaned, use fans to speed drying and run the fan on your A/C. Prevent condensation around windows by increasing insulation. In areas where moisture is an issue – such as basements and bathrooms – do not install carpeting.
Use SNiPER to Kill the Mold – and the Spores!
When using SNiPER to clean mold, you may need to wear a protective mask, not because of SNiPER, but because you really don’t want to breathe in too much of the spores floating around. The EPA recommends a “N-95” respirator. They also recommend that you wear rubber gloves and goggles to avoid having direct contact with either mold or spores. If you can see mold growing, then spray directly on and around it. Use a scrubber to gently scrub away any crud that can be scrubbed away. Wipe up this crud, re-spray the area and walk away allowing it to air dry. For more complete application instructions, see: https://www.nokout.com/Cleaning-Mold-and-Mildew.html.
Kill Mold Spores in the Air
A professional would use a machine called a ‘fogger’ to treat the air. These machines are great, but they are also expensive! There is a great DIY solution that is not expensive: use a common household vaporizer. For full instructions on how and when to use this common household machine, see https://www.nokout.com/Vaporizer-How-to-use.html
See all SNiPER Products here.
For more information, see:
It’s that time of the year again! Temperatures are rising, spring has sprung and it’s almost summer. And with it comes – humidity. The air feels thick, like you could swim through it and, despite that shower you just took, your shirt is already sticking to your back! Gotta love summer!
I do love summer. I get out and exercise more with longer walks in my favorite local parks, go swimming and generally enjoy the outdoors more.
Lots of other organisms like summer too. Things like mold, mildew and the fungus that causes ‘musty’ smells. Many basements become more damp at this time every year due not only to rising humidity, but also due to higher ground water from spring rains.
This is a good way to understand these organisms – they like water. They flourish whenever and wherever water is found. So that shower stall? Be sure and use that squeegee before you leave the stall. The basement? You can help ease the situation by running a de-humidifier throughout the humid summer months. That RV that sat up all winter? It could probably use a good airing out and it certainly wouldn’t hurt to run the de-humidifier there as well.
There are many many places where reducing the water load can help reduce the growth of these organisms. But these measures can only reduce the growth. There are spores from these organisms all around us and in the air. This is normal. (Ever see little dust motes in a sunbeam? I wonder how much of that is really spores?) So even after you have cleaned and disinfected, the first time you open that door to the outside world, you are allowing a little cloud of those spores coming back in to re-infect if they can. Controlling their food source – water – will help determine if you have a bad infestation or just something that needs to be managed at certain times of the year.
Low levels of spores are normal and we can’t easily stop it. At higher concentrations however, spores can cause health problems in people with already weakened defenses, or people with allergies. So if you need to deal with an infestation, you can rely on either SNiPER or Nok-Out for a treatment plan that does not require protective gear to apply, that works well and even kills the spores in the air, all without creating a toxic environment for you and your family.
Dealing with these issues yourself can save you thousands of dollars. And, since you know that our products are safe in your home, you can rest easy knowing you are not contributing to a toxic household. Here’s how.
We’ve got some great ‘how-to’ articles for you:
General tips for Mold remediation: http://www.nokout.com/Cleaning-Mold-and-Mildew.html,
Basement Mold and Mildew: http://www.nokout.com/Basement-Mold-and-Mildew.html
Shower Stall: http://www.nokout.com/Keep-mold-out-of-your-shower-stall.htm
Kill Spores in the air: http://www.nokout.com/Vaporizer-How-to-use.html