Control the Moisture – Control the Mold
Mold and spores are a potential source of irritation including allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory maladies. The EPA tells us that “All molds have the potential to cause health effects”. Mold reproduces through ‘spores’, which are invisibly small and can float around on air currents in a home, office or school. Breathing in these spores can cause sickness and allergies as well as having an unpleasant odor.
The best defense for controlling mold is to control the moisture. If excess moisture is present, it will not be long until mold is growing. So controlling the moisture that mold feeds upon is the best defense. The best offense for mold is to use SNiPER to clean it safely, without introducing highly toxic cleansers into your home!
Check Your Home for Water Leaks
Wherever mold is growing there must be some water source. Find it, fix it. Look under the sink – is it often wet down there? If yes, find where it is leaking and get that fixed. Other places to check include the drain for your A/C system. These drains can become blocked and then spill over. Check near windows during cold weather – humid indoor air can often condense on cold windows.
Reduce the Humidity
Reduce the humidity in mold-prone areas such as a basement to limit the growth of mold in these areas. You can reduce humidity by:
- using air conditioners (which remove excess moisture) or de-humidifiers
- increase ventilation
- use exhaust fans that are vented outside when cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- make sure dryers and bathroom vents are vented outside and not blocked
If you have just had your carpet cleaned, use fans to speed drying and run the fan on your A/C. Prevent condensation around windows by increasing insulation. In areas where moisture is an issue – such as basements and bathrooms – do not install carpeting.
Use SNiPER to Clean Away the Mold – and the Spores!
When using SNiPER to clean mold, you may need to wear a protective mask, not because of SNiPER, but because you really don’t want to breathe in too much of the spores floating around. The EPA recommends a “N-95” respirator. They also recommend that you wear rubber gloves and goggles to avoid having direct contact with either mold or spores. If you can see mold growing, then spray directly on and around it. Use a scrubber to gently scrub away any crud that can be scrubbed away. Wipe up this crud, re-spray the area and walk away allowing it to air dry. For more complete application instructions, see: https://www.nokout.com/Cleaning-Mold-and-Mildew.html.
Remove Mold Spores in the Air
A professional would use a machine called a ‘fogger’ to treat the air. These machines are great, but they are also expensive! There is a great DIY solution that is not expensive: use a common household vaporizer. For full instructions on how and when to use this common household machine, see https://www.nokout.com/Vaporizer-How-to-use.html
See all SNiPER Products here.
For more information, see:
It’s that time of the year again! Temperatures are rising, spring has sprung and it’s almost summer. And with it comes – humidity. The air feels thick like you could swim through it and, despite that shower you just took, your shirt is already sticking to your back! Gotta love summer!
I do love summer. I get out and exercise more with longer walks in my favorite local parks, go swimming and generally enjoy the outdoors more.
Lots of other organisms like summer too. Things like mold, mildew and the fungus that causes ‘musty’ smells. Many basements become more damp at this time every year due not only to rising humidity but also due to higher groundwater from spring rains.
This is a good way to understand these organisms – they like water. They flourish whenever and wherever water is found. So that shower stall? Be sure and use that squeegee before you leave the stall. The basement? You can help ease the situation by running a de-humidifier throughout the humid summer months. That RV that sat up all winter? It could probably use a good airing out and it certainly wouldn’t hurt to run the de-humidifier there as well.
There are many many places where reducing the water load can help reduce the growth of these organisms. But these measures can only reduce the growth. There are spores from these organisms all around us and in the air. This is normal. (Ever see little dust motes in a sunbeam? I wonder how much of that is really spores?) So even after you have cleaned and disinfected, the first time you open that door to the outside world, you are allowing a little cloud of those spores coming back in to re-infect if they can. Controlling their food source – water – will help determine if you have a bad infestation or just something that needs to be managed at certain times of the year.
Low levels of spores are normal and we can’t easily stop it. At higher concentrations, however, spores can cause health problems in people with already weakened defenses, or people with allergies. So if you need to deal with an infestation, you can rely on either SNiPER or Nok-Out for a treatment plan that does not require protective gear to apply, that works well and even clean away the spores in the air, all without creating a toxic environment for you and your family.
Dealing with these issues yourself can save you thousands of dollars. And, since you know that our products are safe in your home, you can rest easy knowing you are not contributing to a toxic household. Here’s how.
We’ve got some great ‘how-to’ articles for you:
General tips for Mold remediation: http://www.nokout.com/Cleaning-Mold-and-Mildew.html,
Basement Mold and Mildew: http://www.nokout.com/Basement-Mold-and-Mildew.html
Shower Stall: http://www.nokout.com/Keep-mold-out-of-your-shower-stall.htm
Clean the Spores in the air: http://www.nokout.com/Vaporizer-How-to-use.html
|Buy a Gallon of SNiPER Disinfectant & Odor Eliminator